August 30, 2012

Blind Beggar

"As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” "Lord, I want to see,” he replied. Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God." Luke 18:35-43, NIV

          Clearly, when I read this the first time, I didn't see things right. I took it, internalized it, and interpreted through my own selfishness and desires. Instead of seeing the blind man as an example of how I should approach You (full faith, not holds barred, and fully expectant), I saw You as a malevolent God who gives heart desires to all but me. 

         You asked the blind man what he wanted You to do for him. He didn't ask for much. He asked to see. 

        You have asked me the same-- what more could I possibly want from You? I selfishly said the only thing my heart could grasp at-- not devoid of You, but not seeking you, either. Now I get it. 

         Lord Jesus, I want to see. But, I don't just want to see why or why not. I want to see what and who and how. I want to see what You are doing in me, through me, around me. I want to see who You are working on, transforming, disciplining, and drawing to me that I might be Your hands and heart to the world. I want to see how You are proclaiming Your glory, how You are changing me, how You are changing everything. 

I want to see You-- for all that You are.


No comments:

“Ima” (The Prodigal’s Mother)

 Birth is the only jubilant end To one life being shared with another. Not so joyous is the letting go that comes after. No one told me what...